This one page document shows which Phase of Letters and Sounds needs to be taught in each half term in order to be on track for both the phonics screening check and Y2 SPAG test.The plan covers nursery to Y2. The plan is intended as a guide and schools can amend it to reflect the needs of their pupils or groupings, where these are used.
• As an insert in the school’s scheme of work for phonics, so teachers are clear which part of the Letters of Sounds programme they should be teaching each half term.
• As a handout during staff training sessions on Letters and Sounds.
A blank version of the document above, so you can show which phase of the Letters and Sounds programme (or indeed any other phonics programme) is to be taught in each half term of each year group in your school (nursery to Y2). Aim to get as close to the sample one above. Where groups are used for teaching phonics, these can be shown on the plan.
• As an insert in the school’s scheme of work for phonics, so teachers are clear which part of school’s synthetic phonics programme they should be teaching each half term.
• As a handout during staff training on the school’s synthetic phonics programme.
All week by week medium term plans are available in the relevant phase sections.
All generic and sample weekly plans are available in the relevant phase sections.
A blank grid with spaces to plan for each part of the suggested lesson structure in Letters and Sounds.
• As a planning sheet for each week’s discrete teaching of phonics. Practitioners new to the teaching of synthetic phonics have found this planning grid particularly useful.